The Jazz had their first Summer League game yesterday against the Heat squad. Alec Burks looked confident and aggressive until he sprained his ankle in the first half. The real news was all centered around Trey Burke. The young PG looked tentative and a little unsure at times, but to remind everyone that isn't on Twitter (where we all chided each other ad naseum), this is just the first game. Of Summer League. They all looked terrible. Burke went under the microscope as soon as Michael Carter-Williams had his monster game.
The important takeaways from that game:
- His shot was abysmal, but he did what good players do in that situation: he got involved in other ways. Most notably his rebounding. He ended the game with a respectable 7 boards.
- He impacted the game when it mattered. Most notably, when the Heat closed the lead to 5, late in the fourth quarter, Burke kept his composure against the Heat press and was able to penetrate the lane for easy buckets for Gobert and Evans
- He had 5 assists and 2 turnovers. That's a decent ratio, especially for a Summer League game that is a bit chaotic. On the other hand, he was a bit conservative on the pick and roll plays
The Jazz's next game is tomorrow at 3:00 (Eastern)
Jody Genessy of the Deseret News wrote up a nice article about Hayward attending the Summer League games. Apparently this decision was made entirely on Hayward's part and he is serious about following through with the Jazz's desire for him to take on a leadership role on this young team.
Remember, in about two weeks Hayward and Derrick Favors will be in Las Vegas for the Team USA mini-camp.
We can all breath a little easier now.
Here's the basics:
- Jazz sign and trade Randy Foye to the Nuggets
- Nuggets sign and trade Andre Igoudala to the Warriors
- Warriors send a future second round pick to the Jazz
Keep an eye out for a free agency discussion video tonight or tomorrow. Wherein, Peter and Mychal will argue about how bad/good the great Warriors contract absorption is.
In further programming news, there will be a little shuffling in the Downbeats this summer. I will be steady on Mondays, Mychal on Tuesdays, and the rest of the days will probably be a rotating cast.