Edit: I added links to YouTube vids for the major music references. Go and enjoy.
I'm going to try a little something different. Between Amar's quickie recaps within 30 minutes of game end and the later Jazz Quartets, these longer reviews need something more to make them relevant, I think. So I'm experimenting with form and depth a bit. We'll se how it goes. And yes: I'm going to keep going with with music motifs and see where they go.
Overview of the Gig
It was a bit of a schizophrenic performance. What else do you call it when the headliners begin with some elevator music, the second-stringers start riffing off Beethoven's 5th via Bass Trombone and Electric Guitar, CJ finds his inner Johnny Hodges, and it all ends as Devin trips on the cables—and the microphone falls off the stage right before one last jam could save it all.
No, it wasn't the best game of the year (that, to me, was Sunday's win in Denver), nor the most fun (Clippers). But it was without question the best Game Thread-Twitter-Watch with a bunch of buds experience of the year. Seriously, we got everything:
- We could turn some of our guys into punching bags
- We got to say "Thank Zeus he's on our team"
- We got to flip out over idiot refs
- We got to laugh at the other team's star
- We got to scream at the TV for our guys to show just a smidge of passion
- We got to high five each other when our guys got angry and feisty
- We got to jump up and down over huge, power dunks that built our team's momentum
- We got to bang our heads against the wall over the "clutch" moments in the last few seconds
- We got to say, over and over, "I'm going to be so pissed if we lose"
- We got to shrug and say, "I wish we had won, but that they had fight was enough for me"
I could go on. Really, as far as giving us the full fan experience, this game pretty much gave us everything. So let's now look back at the different quarters. Or, in Jazz quartet playing at the club lingo, the four sets:
The rest after the jump.