Because everyone is talking about it . . . I made a separate post for discussion of Grantland's NBA Preview of the Utah Jazz. Here Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose discuss a few topics, watch it here:
What did we learn?
- The Jazz indicate that they don't want to be good this season
- The trade for Richard Jefferson and Andris Biedrins (no mention of Brandon Rush) is not a basketball move, but gives the team expiring deals that can be used for a midseason trade for an actually talented basketball player (like the Toronto Raptors forward Rudy Gay)
- The loss of Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap for nothing (or worse, for the replacements on the cap that we got from the Golden State Warriors) looks bad, but may be deceptive because of the development and production the team should get from Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter
- Trey Burke, Alec Burks, and Gordon Hayward are good
- Jalen likes Trey for being a Michigan Wolverines product . . .
- . . . Alec or Alex, or whatever . . . too bad Tyrone Corbin didn't play him much . . .
- . . . and Gordon is REALLY good at shooting on the right side of the court, which helps spread the floor.
- Also, maybe, Marvin Williams shouldn't have been drafted so high.
Well, there's also that whole Ty Corbin being on the hot seat and probably getting fired this year. That's the main point that will be stuck in the craw of people who work inside the Utah Jazz org. I expect a strong rebuttal from our embedded media, and a round of "we love Ty, he's so good!" quotes from the brain trust soon. (After all, they were totally not fibbing about KOC stepping down and came out strongly against that and we all know how that played out)