The Utah Jazz ended their losing streak at 9 with a victory over the dastardly San Antonio Spurs. The refs were the refs, the Spurs never gave up, the Jazz couldn't make a free throw in the fourth, but our team was hungry and got it done. (Also, the Spurs were playing without Tony Parker, Tiago Splitter, and Patty Mills . . . ) The first quarter wasn't that smooth, but San Antonio was in the lead. However, the Spurs couldn't make any distance and the Jazz took the lead at half, and extended it with a key run to finish the third -- which caused Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich to blow his top and get ejected. The Jazz had solid games from a number of contributors.
- Derrick Favors -- 21 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 2 blocks (with 3 more that should have counted)
- Gordon Hayward -- 20 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and clutch play down the stretch
- Enes Kanter -- 12 points ,15 rebounds, 1 block, and super efficient play all around
- Alec Burks -- 14 points, 4 assists, 3 steals, almost what my "ideal SG should get" post was all about
- Trey Burke -- 8 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound, 1 steal, a tougher night but still got it done
- Trevor Booker -- 6 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 massive blocks
- Rudy Gobert -- 6 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 assist, 100.0 FG%
- Dante Exum -- 6 points (2 threes, one three should have been a four pter), 2 assists, 1 rebound
- Rodney Hood -- 7 points, 1 assist, one near assassination
- Joe Ingles -- 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 assist, one shot in 15 minutes.
Apparently this is the third time in Jazz history that they broke a 9 game losing streak with a win against the Spurs. Funny how that happens. I feel bad for the Jazz getting the win when Yucca isn't doing the recap. He deserves this. But then again, we all do -- most of all the young players on this team.
This is a great feeling, and for at least one night we should . . . .
. . . . celebrate.
The next Jazz game will be on Friday, hosting the Miami Heat -- but before that be ready for a great Downbeat tomorrow by Shums. I can't wait!