Yesterday the Utah Jazz, leading the entire game, collapsed and lost to the San Antonio Spurs 86-77. Utah was beat in the critical fourth quarter by 10 points. (Round 2 preview -- SASatUTA Preview -- SASatUTA Game Thread -- SASatUTA Quick Recap) I'm kind of down about that.
Wow. Being sad after losses. Welcome back, old friend.— Amar (@AllThatAmar) July 18, 2014
I wasn't the only one who felt this way.
Very frustrating game for us but we will get this this W tomorrow!— rudy gobert (@rudygobert15) July 18, 2014
I'm with ya, Rudy Gobert. The Jazz were killing the Spurs in the paint by going to Rudy Gobert early, getting him involved, and letting him get the ball around the rim. After halftime he didn't see the ball at all. Compounding that he picked up some dumb fouls at the end of the third and early fourth, and the Spurs took advantage of not having to play against a potential #LVSL MVP on the floor.
Utah wasn't the only team to lose last night though.
- [#1] Chicago Bulls beat [#16] Philadelphia 76ers
- [#2] New York Knicks beat [#15] NBA D-League Select
- [#3] Cleveland Cavaliers lost to [#14] Houston Rockets -- upset
- [#4] Washington Wizards beat [#13] Miami Heat
- [#5] Utah Jazz lost to [#21] San Antonio Spurs -- upset
- [#6] Portland Trail Blazers lost to [#22] Atlanta Hawks -- upset
- [#7] New Orleans Pelicans lost to [#23] Charlotte Hornets -- upset
- [#8] Sacramento Kings beat [#24] Minnesota Timberwolves
So the next round looks like this:
- [#1] Chicago Bulls vs [#8] Sacramento Kings
- [#2] New York Knicks vs [#23] Charlotte Hornets
- [#14] Houston Rockets vs [#22] Atlanta Hawks -- should have been #3 seed normally
- [#4] Washington Wizards vs [#21] San Antonio Spurs
As for us, well, the Utah Jazz will face the Portland Trail Blazers in the losers bracket / consolation round. This will be the Jazz' last game, and it starts today at and updated time of 5:30 PM PT. (So, 6:30 PM MT) It is likely the the Jazz will be without the services of Dante Exum and Brock Motum. So, yeah. Enjoy that, Jazz fans!