Hood appeared to re-aggravate his left foot on Sunday night against the San Antonio Spurs. He drove hard to the basket, landed on it, and lay down, pounding the AT&T Center floor with his fist. He had already missed the better part of three weeks with foot inflammation.
This is the time of year where basketball gets completely drowned out in the noise of football (probably a good thing based on last night's performance by the Jazz), but the real basketball nuts are still all-in. Here's some Zach Lowe love for the Jazz (er... Rudy), from last night:
@ZachLowe_NBA at this point Zach, when players drive and get swatted away I am partial to "Don't Gobert!" Not a nickname but fitting...— Brent Barry (@Barryathree) January 19, 2015
Sean Elliott spent most of Spurs-Jazz talking about Gobert as if he were Godzilla. And he wasn't really wrong. Kawhi looks so fresh.— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) January 19, 2015
Here's some from Marc Stein (and more Lowe):
@ESPNSteinLine First-round pick in Year 2 is also a dicey MIP candidate, as you often point out. Improvement is expected, right?— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) January 19, 2015
Yes, I need validation from national writers. IDC, IDC, IDC
The Jazz stunk it up shooting last night, and it's been an ongoing theme. Over the last 5 games, the Jazz have shot 45% 2P% and 34% 3P%. That's not good, but when you look at their opponents over that same span? 46% and 42%. Obviously the big difference is their opponents shooting almost 10% better from deep, on 104 attempts. Over that period the Jazz are 1-4.
The one day that the NBA does dominate in January is MLK day. I love the MLK day games in the NBA.
- The Jazz haven't played on MLK day since Jan. 17th, 2011, when they lost to the Wizards 108-101. Nick Young had 25.
- Before that, the Jazz played the Clippers, in L.A., in 2008. The Jazz trounced the Clipps 109-93, behind a balanced attack that had 7 players score in double figures.
- January 15th, 2007 the Jazz played the Wizards in DC. They lost 114-111 on a game winning three pointer from Gilbert Arenas, who finished with 51pts.
- January 16th, 2006 the Jazz played at the Clippers. They lost 102-93, again in overtime. Elton Brand dropped 35/14 and had 7 blocks.
- January 17th, 1005 the Jazz played an evening game against the Lakers, in L.A. They won 102-94.
Here's the NBA schedule for today: http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150119/
Happy Martin Luther King Day from SLC Dunk. If you have the day off, enjoy the basketball. If you don't find a way to watch some anyway. No matter what, be good to each other.