Western Conference Standings:
What happened last night?
- The Grizzlies lost to the Jazz, 93-82
- The Rockets lost to the Hawks, 104-96
- The Kings beat up on the Knicks 124-86
- The Nuggets beat the Bucks, 106-95
- The Lakers lost by only 1 to the Hornets, 104-103
Of course, last night wasn't THAT crazy. Tonight should be as 14 of 15 West teams are playing, and you get some good match-ups like:
- MEM (2) @ HOU (3);
- POR (4) @ LAC (5);
- SAC (12) @ SAS (7);
- and DEN (13) @ MIN (15)
Well, maybe the last two aren't that hot. But it will be a big night for the West for sure.
|Team||W||L||%||GB||Conf||Streak||Last 10||Top 3|
What are we looking at?
- The Top 5 seems to be locked in, unless the Nuggets decide to start losing a lot of games. That doesn't seem likely as they just win their first game without Brian Shaw. You never know though, before last night they had lost 19 of their last 22 games. The Kings are hard to figure out, but I suspect they will throttle down in about two weeks and stop winning games. Utah continues to win, so I don't think our guys will make it into the Top 5 this season. And frankly, we should be happy about that.
- The East is still much worse than the west, but the Cavaliers finally won enough to move out of the Bottom 20 in the NBA. The Spurs are now here, which is funny for a different reason.
- I have a sneaking suspicion that the Pacers will be picking either #2 or #3 this year -- you know, because the NBA works like that
- If you are looking to "game" the situation you have to look at the intervals between the Top 3 % chances. One spot can make as much as 9.1% difference in your chances. For the Jazz, sitting at #10, they'd only be losing 1.1% if they end up at #11. But if they were to jump up to #9 they'd be gaining 2.1% more of a chance. IF the #9 team went up to #8, it would be gaining a 3.9% chance. If the #8 team went up to #7 they'd be getting a +5.0% chance. The difference between the #10 and the #8 post is 6%, which itself is 1.5 times greater a chance than the Jazz even have right now. Maths. Am I right, blokes?
- At the end of the day I think the Jazz are going to be a lotto team, but our record will prevent gaming this situation at all. This team is on a roll and going to get wins as much as possible right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jazz close some of the distance between PHX and NOP by seasons' end.