The NBA offseason is a season unto itself, and it’s often more fun than parts of the regular season. However, we do have some actual basketball to watch during this next week: the annual Utah Jazz Summer League is kicking off tomorrow, featuring matchups between the Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers as well as our very own Utah Jazz vs. the San Antonio Spurs.
We don’t care about Boston just yet. (seriously, Boston, a pox upon ye) Tomorrow is all about the Summer Jazz and Summer Spurs. First of all, here are the players on each team: (more info here and here)
- Joel Bolomboy, F/C, 6-foot-9, 235 pounds, Last team: Utah Jazz
- Tony Bradley, C, 6-10, 248, North Carolina
- Spencer Butterfield, G, 6-3, 205, JSF Nanterre (France)
- Mitch Creek, F, 6-4, 216, Adelaide 36ers (Australia)
- Dante Exum, G, 6-6, 207, Utah Jazz
- Eric Griffin, C/F, 6-8, 205, Hapoel Galil Gilboa (Israel)
- Jonathan Holmes, F, 6-9, 242, Canton Charge (G League)
- Donovan Mitchell, G, 6-3, 215, Louisville
- Nate Sobey, G, 6-3, 185, Adelaide 36ers (Australia)
- James Southerland, F, 6-8, 221, Santa Cruz Warriors (G League)
- Devondrick Walker, G, 6-5, 205, Delaware 76ers (G League)
- J.P. Tokoto, F, 6-6, 200, Rio Grande Valley Vipers (G League)
- Tyrone Wallace, G, 6-5, 200, Salt Lake City Stars (G League)
- Nigel Williams-Goss, G, 6-3, 190, Gonzaga
- Julian Wright, C, 6-8, 225, Trabzonspor (Turkey)
San Antonio Spurs:
Who To Watch: Utah Jazz
The Summer Jazz are headlined by young Aussie point guard Dante Exum, Louisville standout Donovan Mitchell, G-League star Joel Bolomboy, and North Carolina center Tony Bradley.
During last year’s summer league, Joel Bolomboy looked lost. After some time in the G-League, though, he appears to have found himself, and may be ready to play backup minutes in the NBA. Watch for him to destroy some guys this year. He’s put in serious work.
Donovan Mitchell is already becoming a fan favorite, and Tony Bradley should be able to hang with any center in the summer league, though he is rather raw. At any rate, It should be fun to see what they have at this point.
Who to Watch: San Antonio Spurs
The Spurs’ main dudes in the summer league appear to be stretch big Davis Bertans, sophomore guard Dejuonte Murray, and rookie guard Derrick White. Bertans and Murray both contributed to the Spurs success at times during the past season when key players went down with injuries. Bertans is a decent shooter who can stretch the floor, and Murray a skilled distributor who can sometimes score. Derrick White, who the Spurs picked 29th in the 2017 NBA draft, has good handles and can score in traffic. Both guards will be a good test for Dante Exum, though he should win the matchup. Hopefully sophomore guard Tyrone Wallace and rookie Nigel Williams-Goss will get some good burn against them.
There’s no point in predicting who is going to win, as it doesn’t really matter. All that matters is that, for a few days at least, we have some Utah Jazz basketball.
Still, GO JAZZ GO!
Buy tickets here.