Every season we see NBA players come into shape looking better than the year before. They put in the hard work, the nutrition, and the dedication to scrap a few lbs and enter training camp in the best shape of their lives. We’ve seen it with Rudy looking like Adonis with his six pack, we saw in the past when Gordon Hayward went from lanky college kid to Captain America, and Karl Malone becoming a god in the gym.
Recently, the Deseret News’ own Jody Genessy has made his own #MuscleWatch transformation in which he is set to hit his goal weight when training camp. Which got us to thinking ... why don’t we hold a #MuscleWatch competition?
INTRODUCING THE FIRST ANNUAL SLC DUNK #MUSCLEWATCH COMPETITION!
In what will be the inaugural year of the SLC Dunk #MuscleWatch Competition, we wanted to do something special. Not only do we want to help you—and our reckless bogger selves—lose some weight, but we also want to do it for a good cause.
Initially we had planned for the proceeds to go to a charity. We had been thinking about donating the money we raised to Ricky Rubio’s charity, but then a tragedy occurred amongst our Dunker ranks. As most of you know JP Gibson has been diagnosed with cancer for the 2nd time in his young life. This diagnosis occurred when I was getting everything up and going for our #MuscleWatch competition. After talking to JP Gibson’s family, I wanted to do something for them.
My heart ached knowing the pain they’re going through as a family now for the second time over. As you might have heard September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. So here’s what we’re going to do.
How it works
We’re going to be partnering with Dietbet.com to make this all possible. Dietbet.com allows you to put something of value (your money) into a pot. 30% of all the DietBet pot will go to JP Gibson’s family. What happens to the rest? Great question! After four weeks, whoever's lost 4% of their body weight will split the what’s pot.
Think of it like March Madness, but instead of being based on your inability to pick the Final Four winners, it’s based on your ability to drop weight in a month. You have the ability to donate to a good cause, lose some weight, AND make money ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Yeah, pretty awesome. So let’s talk about how your’e going to get svelte.
The contest will run from September 11th to October 8th, 2017.
How to SLC Dunk MuscleWatch
1. Join the #MuscleWatch for JP Dietbet Group
Join the group by clicking the link above. Put your money in the pot. The required amount is $35. Before you balk at it, there’s a twofold reason for this. The first is important. The reason Dietbet.com works in helping people lose weight is they’re giving up something of value. It feels like a lot of money so there’s investment in the process. You want to work to make it succeed.
The second reason is even more important. This is for JP Gibson’s family. We want to make sure that we are doing this for a good cause and actually making a difference. If you liked, commented, or retweeted the news of his condition, this is your opportunity to put your money where your tweet is and do something special for a family that deserves all the help they can get.
You can only enter once. Obviously you only have one body. This ain’t a March Madness tournament. You can’t bet on every team. Only you.
Two days before your game begins, you'll be prompted to submit your official starting weight.
Dietbet.com’s standard weigh-in process involves you submitting 2 photos: one of you standing on a scale in lightweight clothing (no shoes, hats, belts, watches, coats, or outerwear), and another of the scale’s readout with your weigh-in word written on a piece of paper. The weigh in word acts as a time stamp for when the photo was taken, so it will change depending on when you weigh in. Please be sure to use the current word that is displayed on the screen as you begin the upload process. Each weigh-in submission is individually reviewed by a DietBet Referee. So don’t think you can Jordan push-off your way to victory with this.
3. #MUSCLEWATCH AND INVITE OTHERS
Congratulations, your starting weight has been approved! If you’re like us writing, maybe you don’t approve of the weight but that’s okay.
You've now got 28 days to lose 4% of your body weight. Use DietBet to post photos, comments, and get weight-loss tips. Make sure to invite friends to cheer you on. The more money that’s in the pot, the more money you can win, and the more money we raise for an amazing cause!
Update your weight as often as you like. Self-reported weigh-ins during the game are unofficial but can help hold you accountable. During this time find your new love of cauliflower pizzas and veggies. Be like Rudy Gobert and get in that MMA gym. Do some cross-fit. Go for a walk. Grow out a man-bun like Ricky Rubio. Whatever you do, stick to your goal of losing at least 4% of your body weight.
You can even download the Dietbet app from the App Store!
You're almost there! After the final day, you will have 48 hours to weigh out. Even if you have not won, please enter your final weight. You will not be required to submit photos for verification unless you are a winner.
Wow, you just got paid to lose weight and give to charity! Within 24 hours after the final weigh-out period ends, the results are made official and the pot (less DietBet's fee) is divided among the winners. Winners are notiﬁed by email of their payout, which is added to their DietBet account as Points. You can apply your winnings to your next DietBet or cash out now via PayPal and treat yourself to something special… you earned it!
[No Lose Guarantee: This guarantee ensures that if you win your dietbet, you won't lose money. Most winners make money but in the event that your game has an unusually high percentage of winners, Dietbet.com will forfeit their cut in order to ensure that nobody loses money. So the worst case scenario is that you'll end up losing weight for free, which is still a big win.]
In addition to the money that you can win we will also be giving out prizes to the top 5 winners and I’m pretty excited about them. First of all, we need to give a shout out to FANZZ to donating to such an amazing cause. FANZZ donated all the apparel prizes for our contest. In addition, Jody Genessy will be donating to the cause as well. A weight loss competition without Jody Genessy would be like a pick and roll without Stockton and Malone. Without further adieu.
1st Place - Lunch with Mr. #MuscleWatch himself: Jody Genessy of the Deseret News + first choice of a Utah Jazz jersey of either Dante Exum, Derrick Favors, Alec Burks, or Rodney Hood + Be featured in Rudy Gobert and the Quest for DPOY!
2nd Place - Second choice of a Utah Jazz jersey of either Exum, Favors, Burks, or Gobert
3rd Place - Third choice of a Utah Jazz jersey of either Exum, Favors, Burks, or Gobert
4th Place - Fourth choice of a Utah Jazz jersey of either Exum, Favors, Burks, or Gobert
Utah Jazz Jersey
5th Place - Utah Jazz logo 12 x 12 canvas
What if I don’t have enough money to #MuscleWatch but still want to donate?
Great question, Dunker. If you can’t afford to #MuscleWatch this year but still want to donate, or if you already have the body of Adonis (LUCKY), you can click the link below that directly donates to the Gibson Family. We thank you in advance of your donation!
DONATE TO JP GIBSON —->
Official Rules for SLC Dunk’s #MuscleWatch for JP Gibson Contest
ENTRY INTO THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
1. Eligibility: SLC Dunk’s #MuscleWatch for JP Gibson Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the United States (excluding territories and possessions) who, at the time of entry, are at least eighteen (18) years of age and are registered members of www.dietbet.com (the “Contest Site”). Employees, independent contractors, interns, officers, directors, and agents of Sponsor, other companies associated with the Contest, the judges, as well as the immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings, and children, and their respective spouses) and household members of any of the foregoing are not eligible to enter.
2. Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Vox Media, Inc., 1201 Connecticut Avenue NW, 11th Floor, Washington, DC, 20036 (“Sponsor”).
4. Entry Period: The Contest begins on September 11, 2017 at 10:00am (PST) and ends on October 8, 2017 at 10:00am (PST) (the “Entry Period”). Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Enter: To enter the Contest, you must be a registered user of the Contest Site. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person/user name for the Contest Site. Multiple entries will not be acknowledged.
a. Becoming a Registered User. Visit the Contest Site and if you are not already a registered user of the Contest Site, sign-up to create an account and register as a member of the Contest Site (which is free).
b. Register for the SLC Dunk Contest. Register for the Contest by clicking on the ‘DietBet’ Contest link, which will be provided through a pinned post on www.slcdunk.com (the “SB Nation Site”) and in posts on the social media pages of the SB Nation Site, and login to the Contest Site with your account username and password.
c. Pay Entry Fee. As part of the Contest registration process on the Contest Site, you will need to pay the entry fee of Thirty United States Dollars (USD $30) (“Entry Fee”), which can be paid using your credit card or PayPal account. Each entrant’s Entry Fee (less (i) 15 %, which is retained by the Contest Site for administrative, processing, and other fees, and (ii) 30%, which will be donated to the “Help JP Beat Cancer Again!!!” charity (https://www.youcaring.com/jpgibson-890352)) will be pooled together to create the “Prize Pot”.
d. Entry – Initial Weigh-in. To be entered into the Contest (“Entry”), you must submit your initial weigh-in, starting forty-eight (48) hours prior to the start of the Entry Period until fourteen (14) days into the Entry Period. Your weigh-in must be submitted in compliance with the ‘Kickstarter Rules’ on the Contest Site. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person/e-mail address.
e. Final Weigh-in. On the first day after the end of the Entry Period, you must submit your final weigh-in on the Contest Site, in compliance with the ‘Kickstarter Rules’ on the Contest Site.
f. Multiple Entries will not be acknowledged. The use of an agency or any automated system to enter is strictly prohibited and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries received through such methods, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Any content you submit in connection with your Entry (including any text, images, or other materials) (“Content”) must comply with the SB Nation community guidelines, located at www.sbnation.com/community-guidelines, and must not infringe upon the intellectual property rights (including without limitation, copyrights, trademarks, patents, and trade secrets) of any person and shall not violate the privacy, publicity, civil or property rights of any person.
6. Winner Selection. The object of the Contest is to lose at least four percent (4%), or more, of your bodyweight during the four (4) week Contest Entry Period. The winners will be selected in accordance with the following “Judging Criteria”: each entrant who loses at least four percent (4%) of their body weight will be a winner (“Winner(s)”), and the five (5) Winners who lose the highest percentage of their body weight out of all the entrants will be the “Grand Prize Winner(s)”. In the event of a tie between the Grand Prize Winners, the winner(s) who lost the most weight in pounds will win the tiebreaker.
7. Notification and Requirements of Potential Winners: Sponsor will attempt to notify potential winners within seven (7) business days of the date of selection. If a potential winner does not respond within seven (7) days after the notice is sent, the Sponsor will select an alternate potential winner in his/her place according to the Judging Criteria. Only three (3) alternate potential winners will be contacted. Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. If a potential winner fails to sign and return these documents within the required time period, an alternate potential winner may be selected in his/her place according to the Judging Criteria. Only three (3) alternate potential winners may be contacted.
8. Prize(s): The Prize Pot will be divided equally between each Winner (including each Grand Prize Winner) (the “Prize”). Five (5) “Grand Prizes” will awarded to the Grand Prize Winner(s), as follows:
(i) “First Prize” (i.e. awarded to the entrant who lost the highest percentage of their body weight) is the opportunity to attend a lunch with Jody Genessy of Deseret News at a venue near the Vivint Smart Home Arena, Salt Lake City, UT (exact venue and date to be mutually agreed to by the First Prize winner and Jody Genessy), with an approximate retail value (“ARV”) of USD $50.00; one (1) Utah Jazz jersey, with an ARV of USD $109.99; and the first place Grand Prize Winner will be featured in “Rudy Gorbert and the Quest for DPOY” on the SB Nation Site. The total ARV of the First Prize is USD $159.99.
(ii) “Second Prize”, “Third Prize”, and “Fourth Prize” (i.e. awarded to the entrants who lost, respectively, the second highest, third highest, and fourth highest percentage of their body weight) are one (1) Utah Jazz jersey each, each with an ARV of USD $109.99.
(iii) “Fifth Prize” (i.e. awarded to the entrant who lost the fifth highest percentage of their body weight) is one (1) Utah Jazz logo on a 12 x 12 canvas, with an ARV of USD $24.99.
Each Winner will have their Prize credited to the payment method they used to pay the Entry Fee. Where applicable, Sponsor will mail each Grand Prize Winner their respective Grand Prize to the mailing address provided by the respective Grand Prize Winner. A Winner or Grand Prize Winner is responsible for paying any applicable income taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above, including, if applicable travel to and from the First Prize lunch. The Prize may be subject to additional terms and conditions, see https://www.dietbet.com/ for more details. Any Prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. A Prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. You may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
9. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prize(s) according to the procedures set forth above from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
10. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, any Grand Prize provider, the Contest Site, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
12. Disputes: Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Washington, DC. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Washington, DC, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Washington, DC or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Washington, DC.
13. Third Party Platforms: If this Contest is hosted, administered, or operated on a third party platform, including without limitation a social media platform (e.g. Facebook or Twitter) (“Third Party Platform”), then by participating in this Contest, entrants hereby release and agree to hold harmless such Third Party Platform from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of prizes or participation in any prize-related activities. Unless otherwise stated to the contrary in these Official Rules, this Contest is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, any Third Party Platform.
14. Results: To request a winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Vox Media, Inc. c/o SB Nation "SLC Dunk’s #MuscleWatch for JP Gibson” Contest, 1201 Connecticut Avenue NW, 11th Floor, Washington, DC 20036, Attn: Contest. Requests must be received within four (4) weeks of the end of the Entry Period.