Welcome to By the Stats, this is meant to be a source of water-cooler stats based on the happenings of the previous day’s game. I was hoping to debut this after a win, but of course the Jazz had to go on and lose to the Atlanta Hawks in relatively embarrassing fashion
Basically I’ll go through stats relevant to the team, then go by some of the main players or those who had multiple nuggets of shareable stats with some quick-hit stats at the end.
This is a bit of a trial run so positive feedback is appreciated.
Here’s a link to the box score if you need a reference for some of these stats.
- Utah is now 10-24 in games this year when they fail to score more than 100 points and 3-15 when the don’t score more than 95 points.
- The Jazz lost for the first time when Ricky Rubio scored 20-plus points.
- It was also the first loss when Rubio made at least three 3-pointers.
- Coming into the game, the Jazz were 5-1 in games where Rudy Gobert grabbed at least 15 rebounds. Gobert had 16 boards in the losing effort.
- Had the Jazz won, they would have had two double-digit win streaks in one season. The last and only other time that has happened for Utah in one season was in the 1996-97 season, the year the franchise made its first appearance in the NBA Finals.
- Dennis Schroder’s 41 points (a career high for him) was just the second time this season a player has scored at least 40 points against the Jazz (the other is James Harden, 56 points Nov. 5). The Jazz have lost both games.
- The Jazz allowed a Hawks Center Dewayne Dedmon to grab a season-high 15 rebounds and record his second career 15/15 game.
- Derrick Favors missed the game due to left knee soreness. The Jazz are now 2-3 when he is not in the lineup.
- The Jazz are now 0-6 this year in games where Joe Ingles shoots worse the 15 percent from deep and 3-10 in games when he shoots worse than 25 percent)
- Before this game, the Jazz were 19-3 in games where their opponent shot worse than 30 percent from three.
- Utah’s 6-34 (17.6 percent) shooting from beyond the arc was its worst of the season. The Jazz are now 4-16 when shooting 30 percent or worse from deep.
- Tuesday was the ninth time the Jazz have made 22 free throws and shot 80 percent from the free-throw line. Utah was 5-3 in before the loss to Atlanta.
- The Jazz finished the season-series against Atlanta 0-2. They are the second Eastern Conference team out of the playoffs the Jazz have lost the season-series to (the other team are the New York Knicks)
- Following yesterday’s game, Mitchell is averaging 20.0 points per game (rounding up from 19.95), the first time he has surpassed that threshold this season.
- Were Mitchell to finish the year averaging 20-plus points per game, he would join Darrell Griffith as the only Jazz rookie to do so.
- Mitchell tied his career-high in field goal attempts, going 9-28 from the field and 1-10 from three. He also shot the ball 28 times (also going 9-28) in a win over the Spurs Feb 12. In that game, Mitchell totaled 25 points, on Tuesday he had 24 points.
- Mitchell finished with 24 points, six rebounds and four assists. Tuesday was the fourth time he has reached that stat-line (all coming since February) and is the only rookie to have four such games this year.
- Tuesday was Gobert’s sixth game of 15 points and 15 rebounds. He ended with 15 points and 16 rebounds
- He now has four 15/15 games in March. Only DeAndre Jordan has as many such games in that span.
- Including Tuesday’s game, Gobert has recorded more rebounds than points in 13 games this season.
- Gobert has blocked at least two shots in six straight games — tied for the his longest streak of the season (his career-best streak of 2-plus blocks is 12).
- Despite his team-leading 23 points, Rubio had the lowest plus/minus among the starters with -11. Only Jae Crowder’s -13 was worse on the team.
- Rubio’s three assists were his lowest of any game this season where he played at least 34 minutes.
- Ingles went 1-8 from 3-point range Tuesday. It was just the third time this season he has missed 7 threes in one game.
- The 12.5 percent 3-point shooting percentage was Ingles’ worst this year in any game where he made at least one 3-pointer.
- Before Tuesday’s loss, Ingles had not shot worse than 33 percent from three in a game during March. He has not shot worse than 20 percent since Jan. 15.
- Crowder’s plus/minus of -13 was a team-low and the lowest of his Jazz career.
- His eight points was just the third time since joining the Jazz that he failed to get at least 10 points (16 games).
- Dante Exum finished with six points, two rebounds, was tied for a team-high two assists and was second in plus/minus with +4.
- Jonas Jerebko was +7 in just 13 minutes despite going 0-4 from the field and 0-2 from three. He grabbed five rebounds.
- Since the All-Star break, Royce O’Neale has shot 23.7 percent from the field (16.7 from three) and has averaged just 3.2 points in 19.0 minutes per game.
Random Stat of the Day
- The Utah Jazz are 3-6 all time in games where Dante Exum scores 6 points.
Complex Stat of the Day
- When Jonas Jerebko starts and plays more than 20 minutes this year, he has shot 51.1 percent from three. When he has played fewer than 20 minutes, he has shot just 22.2 percent. Jerebko started Tuesday’s game and played 13 minutes.