In the last week the NBA’s battle to play a season out in the wild with COVID19 started to look daunting. With every passing hour, either Shams or Woj was breaking news that another team was experiencing an outbreak amongst their players and personnel. Thirteen games have now been postponed due to COVID19 and more will most likely be on the way due to a new outbreak in the Minnesota Timberwolves locker room. It has become a head spinning task to keep up with all the notifications so I created a tracker to help out.
Below you’ll see that you can search by team to see the players that have been in Health and Safety Protocols. Those who qualify have to have been in the system for more more than 24 hours. That’s why you won’t see Joe Ingles for the Utah Jazz, but you will see his teammate Juwan Morgan. Data was pulled from the NBA’s injury report so it becomes a little messy when games are postponed. Teams will disclose who is in or out of the NBA’s Health & Safety Protocols when a game is played, but when a game is postponed that information will not be disclosed. To get around that I used the qualification that states use whenever there are probable cases, if you’re told to stay home and not be around people, you’re a probable case. Players on teams with outbreaks that played any minutes in the game before postponement are cautiously overcomunted as quarantined.
- It’s not just hearsay or anecdote, the NBA is ramping up in probable cases.
- The Washington Wizards have 4 games postponed.
- The Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns have 3 games postponed.
- Cleveland Cavaliers have 2 games postponed but due to the Wizards being unable to field a roster. This happened because Cleveland had a B2B where they’d play two games in Washington.
- 18 out of 30 teams have now had at least one game postponed.
- Tomas Satoransky and Javonte Green have been in the protocols multiple times.
- Players who were infected with COVID19 over the summer or prior to the season have found themselves in the protocols like Jabari Parker.
- The Utah Jazz dodged A GIANT (Washington) bullet(s) by not having the Wizards earlier on their road trip. They avoided the insurrection taking place at the US Capitol and avoided having a similar fate as Boston and Philadelphia.
If you notice any players who have been in the protocols but are not showing in the dashboard, just say so in the comments with the player’s name and when they were listed as having COVID this season or when they were listed in the NBA’s Health and Safety Protocols.