The Utah Jazz (25-16) are back at the Viv for the second game of a back-to-back, as they take on the Orlando Magic (17-24). The Magic are also playing on their second night of a back-to-back, flying in from Portland after defeating the Blazers 115-109. Nikola Vucevic went OFF and scored 30 points on 13-18 shooting, and added 10 rebounds. The game will be broadcasted at 7:00pm MST on ROOT Sports.
A year or two ago, some branded the Orlando Magic as the Eastern Conference Jazz, as they were a team filled with a bunch of young talent, yet to discover their full potential. This season, I believe the brand no longer fits, as the Jazz have emerged as a force in the league, while the Magic are still trying to find their way. This matchup will be our second and final meeting of the 2016-17 regular season. In our first matchup, we escaped Orlando with a win, 87-74. Not exactly a barnburner. We were playing without George Hill, so we should be expecting a better offensive game this time around.
Stats from that game:
- Gordon Hayward (39 mins): 20 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 steal
- Derrick Favors (36 mins): 18 points, 9 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 1 assist, 1 three
- Rudy Gobert (34 mins): 13 points, 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 assist, 1 steal
- Evan Founier (38 mins): 21 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals
- Aaron Gordon (25 mins): 9 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals
- D.J. Augustin (24 mins): 19 points, 3 assists, 3-6 from beyond the arc
Current Western Conference Standings:
Things to #TakeNote of
- Has Dante Exum earned his way back into Quin’s rotation? Or maybe Shelvin Mack has played his way out of it... I have been more lenient than most on Mack’s playing time, but his defense and decision making has been substandard as of late. After a few DNP-CD’s, Exum played 16 minutes against the Pistons. He ended up with 4 points on 2-of-4 shooting, 4 assists, 2 rebounds and 3 steals. Exum looked very good, and seemed to get to wherever he wanted to go on the floor. He and Derrick Favors had a dynamic two-man attack going on in the second half, and it was BEAUTIFUL.
- Is Rodney Hood’s slump busted? Over his young NBA career, Utah Jazz fans have known Hood to be a bit streaky. He will light teams up one day, and then go oh-fer from three the next day. After a brutal stretch of shooting during the last Jazz road trip, Hood has gone 11-18 from beyond the arc after returning home. Is the slump busted, or is this just an uptick for a streaky shooter? It may seem obvious, but when Hood is on his game, the Jazz are a much better team. The Jazz are 16-4 when Rodney Hood scores 15 points or more.
- I noticed something funny last night. How badly does Gordon Hayward want to be an All-Star? Well, instead of G’s usual safe/boring two-handed breakaway jam, last night on national television, he decided to go for the two-handed backscratcher:
Yeah... I think Gordon Hayward really wants to go to NOLA.